I am an AI research scientist at Elekta, a world learning medical tech company. I am developing novel algorithms and models in deep learning to improve radiotherapy.
Prior to joining this industrial research, I was working at the Institute of Cancer Research, Cambridge Queens' College, University of Cambridge and St. Andrews University.
I obtained my PhD in Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering at Heriot-Watt University in collaboration with the University of Edinburgh.
My research interests are in the fields of deep learning, medical image analysis and computer vision. These structured models allow to model uncertainty and diversity, which enables novel applications of deep learning from personalization of products and therapies to decision making under uncertainty. I believe AI would revolutionize healthcare and personalize medical treatment in the near future.
In my free time I love running, yoga, swimming, paininting, reading books as well as empowering women in technology.
Courses: Signal Processing, Digital Image Processing, Circuit Analysis, C++
Courses: Numerical Methods, Signals and Systems, Image Processing
Institute of Sensors, Signals and Systems – Institute for Digital Communications – Cancer Research Center
Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering
Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering
Designed and created an online intermediate-level course covering the principles of AI. This consists of video lectures (in the topics of: CNN, RNN, NLP and GAN), python coding lectures, coding assignments and quizzes in each module.View Project
Built a novel deep learning architecture for early detection of cancer. Predicting site of lung cancer initiation and progression using merged image screening and patient’s demographic data in one network (NLST dataset).
Studied differet types of U-net model for the retina vessel segmentation application.
Developed and applied image segmentation models, in particular deep learning, for automatic segmentation of glioma and vestibular schwannoma before treatment and prediction of progression pattern after treatment, using conventional structural and diffusion tensor imagesView Project
Developed new level set segmentation model with the least amount of dependency to its parameter settingsView Project
Automatic segmentation of the optic nerve’s (to calculate cup to disc ratio) for earlier detection of glaucoma.
Recovering the depth information of an object from a sequence of 2D images with varying focus is known as shape from focus.View Project
The SVD technique is used to find r-singular vectors sensing the maximal energy of the signature data using data glove.View Project
1. Rahmat R, Harris-Birtill, D, Finn, D, Feng, Y, Montgomery, D, Nailon, W H, & McLaughlin, S. Radiomics-Led Monitoring of Non-small Cell Lung Cancer Patients During Radiotherapy. In 25th Annual Conference on Medical Image Understanding and Analysis 2021 (pp. 532-546). Springer.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
2. Wan Y, Rahmat R, Price SJ. Deep learning for glioblastoma segmentation using preoperative magnetic resonance imaging identifies volumetric features associated with survival. Acta Neurochirurgica. 2020 Jul 13:1-4.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
3. Rahmat R, Saednia K, Khani MR, Rahmati M, Jena R, Price SJ. Multi-scale segmentation in GBM treatment using diffusion tensor imaging. Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2020 May 22:103815.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
4. Stefani A, Rahmat R, Harris-Birtill D. Autofocus Net: Auto-focused 3D CNN for Brain Tumour Segmentation. InAnnual Conference on Medical Image Understanding and Analysis 2020 Jul 15 (pp. 43-55). Springer, Cham. [Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
5. Rahmat R, Brochu F, Li C, Sinha R, Price SJ, Jena R. Semi-automated construction of patient individualised clinical target volumes for radiotherapy treatment of glioblastoma utilising diffusion tensor decomposition maps. The British Journal of Radiology. 2020 Apr;93(1108):20190441.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
7. Rahmat R, Nailon WH, Price A, Harris-Birtill D, McLaughlin S. New level set model in follow up radiotherapy image analysis. InAnnual Conference on Medical Image Understanding and Analysis 2017 Jul 11 (pp. 273-284). Springer, Cham.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
8. Rahmat R. Monitoring of lung cancer patients during radiotherapy using combined texture and level set analysis of CBCT images (Doctoral dissertation, Heriot-Watt University)[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
9. Rahmat R, Yang F, William WH, McLaughlin S. Lung Tumour Segmentation using a Combined Texture and Level Set [Publisher's link]
10. Rahmat R, Malik AS, Kamel N, Nisar H. 3D shape from focus using LULU operators and discrete pulse transform in the presence of noise. Journal of visual communication and image representation. 2013 Apr 1;24(3):303-17.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
11. Rahmat R, Mallik AS, Kamel N, Choi TS, Hayes MH. 3D shape from focus using LULU operators. InInternational Conference on Advanced Concepts for Intelligent Vision Systems 2012 Sep 4 (pp. 237-245). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
12. Rahmat R, Malik AS, Faye I, Kamel N, Nisar H. An overview of LULU operators and discrete pulse transform for image analysis. The Imaging Science Journal. 2013 Feb 1;61(2):146-59.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
13. Rahmat R. Shape from Focus Using Lulu Operators and Discrete Pulse Transform in the Presence of Noise. [Publisher's link]
14. Rahmat R, Malik AS, Kamel N. 3-D content generation using optical passive reflective techniques. In2011 IEEE 15th International Symposium on Consumer Electronics (ISCE) 2011 Jun 14 (pp. 639-642). IEEE. [Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
15. Rahmat R, Malik AS, Kamel N. Comparison of LULU and median filter for image denoising. International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering. 2013 Dec 1;5(6):568.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
16. Rahmat R, Kamel NS, Yahya N. Principle Subspace-Based Signature Verification Technique using Reduced Sensors Data Glove. In2009 Innovative Technologies in Intelligent Systems and Industrial Applications 2009 Jul 25 (pp. 317-321). IEEE.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
17. Rahmat R, Kamel NS, Yahya N. Subspace-based signature verification technique using reduced-sensor data glove. In2009 IEEE Symposium on Industrial Electronics & Applications 2009 Oct 4 (Vol. 1, pp. 83-88). IEEE.[Publisher's link] [Bibtex]
18. Rahmat R, Online Signature Verification using SVD Method.[Publisher's link]